A commercial garage door is a significant component of your facility. Unfortunately, it’s not always at the forefront of business owners’ minds during renovations and other upgrades.
However, it’s worth noting the role commercial garage doors play in the security of your business’s property- whether it’s a warehouse, service centre, or retail storefront. For one, a poorly functioning garage door can put your business and employees at risk, while one’s that well-maintained and in top condition offers increased security.
Moreover, commercial garage doors are often the first thing potential customers see when they visit your business’s premises. Therefore, it can affect your reputation, and clients may judge your professionalism and commitment from the appearance of this door. In such cases, commercial garage door replacement would be an ideal option.
This article explores what you need to know about upgrading your store’s garage door to guide you.
Signs that it’s time for a replacement
The age of a garage door is often a deciding factor in whether to replace it. Generally, manufacturers design them to last for between 15 to 30 years. However, this will depend on the brand, material, and maintenance level.
Moreover, as commercial garage doors age, their mechanical components wear out. When this happens, you’ll likely experience malfunctions, reduced efficiency, and a high risk of failure. It can pose a safety risk to employees and customers and make your property less secure.
Furthermore, below are other signs that indicate your commercial garage door is due for replacement:
- Frequent breakdowns or repairs
Replacing a commercial garage door may be a cost-effective approach if you often need the help of professionals to repair it or address breakdown issues. While some of these malfunctions are generally repairable, they may become expensive if they recur. It could also cause downtime for your business and leave you counting losses.
Apart from the financial aspect, a malfunctioning door can pose a safety risk to your employees. Replacing it may be cost-effective and give you peace of mind for better security.
- Difficulty opening or closing the door
There may be instances wherein it can be difficult to open and close your garage door. One of the reasons you may experience this is because of wear and tear on mechanical components. It’s a common problem, especially if you frequently use the door. Other causes include insufficient lubrication, sensor problems, or damage to the door track.
In such cases, consulting a professional to diagnose the situation is best. But if this happens frequently, it may be a sign that it’s time to install a new one.
- Visible damage or wear and tear
Given its position and purpose, your garage door will likely sustain damages at some point. Some may be minor, such as cosmetic damages like cracks and faded or chipped paint. On the other hand, some damages can be more than the visual aspect since they can also affect the door’s functionality. For instance, if it’s warped, rusted, dented, cracked, or makes a squealing noise when you operate it.
In such cases, it may not be as effective in doing its job. Aside from affecting the visual appeal of your commercial property, you could also expose your employees and products to security risks. That said, commercial garage door replacement may be best.
- Energy inefficiency
Most commercial garage doors are insulated to regulate the indoor temperature of your facility, which can be beneficial in lowering energy consumption and utility bills. However, if your bills have been significantly higher, call the professionals and check your garage door for possible leaks.
If the garage door is fairly new, a few repairs and replacing the door’s weatherstripping can help address the issue. But if your garage doors are worn-out, replacing them may be a cost-effective approach.
- Outdated security features
The security of your business is paramount and should be the main priority in any upgrades. Staying on track with modern security strategies, especially regarding commercial garage doors, is an excellent idea.
Modern doors are more reliable and efficient. But what makes them stand out from the older models is the advanced security features. Some models come equipped with an electronic lock or access control system that can make your facility intruder-proof.
Benefits of upgrading to a new garage door
Replacing a commercial garage door can be expensive. However, considering their purpose, they’re a worthwhile investment. If you’re still unsure about upgrading your garage door, here are some ways you can benefit from it to reconsider your stand:
- Saves time and money: Replacing worn-out garage doors enables you to save time and money spent on recurring repair costs. You can opt for modern models, offering higher durability that is less prone to breakdown, minimizing instances of a stuck garage door.
- Enhanced security: The advanced features make modern doors more secure and safer.
- Visual appeal: A new garage door can improve your facility’s curb appeal, influencing the perception of your customers or tenants and boosting your company’s professional image.
- Energy efficiency: Upgrading old garage doors can provide better insulation, reducing energy costs.
Ultimately, upgrading to a new garage door can provide better functionality and ease of use, especially if your current door is worn-out, outdated, or malfunctioning. Although upfront costs may be high, they can be cost-effective in the long run.
Factors to consider when selecting a new garage door
As mentioned, replacing commercial garage doors can be a significant investment. To make the most out of it, here are factors to keep in mind:
- Material: You’d want a sturdy and secure material for your garage door. Steel and aluminium are the most popular material you can choose from. Both are durable and require little to no maintenance. Aluminium is a better option if your facility is located in coastal areas since it has excellent corrosion resistance, while steel will likely rust over time.
- Type: Depending on the function and the nature of your facility, your options include roll-up, tilt-up, and sectional. For example, roll-ups are commonly used in warehouses and storage facilities.
- Insulation properties: Insulated garage doors can significantly help lower utility bills. So, when looking for a new one to replace your old commercial door, ensure you check its R-value.
- Safety and security features: Some models come with safety and security features like motion sensors to prevent intrusions of unauthorized personnel and workplace accidents.
- Budget: The price depends on the door’s type, size, and material. However, manufacturers also offer varying price ranges, so it’s best to ask for quotations and compare their costs. Aside from the unit, you’ll also have to consider the installation cost and maintenance expenses.
These are some of the essential considerations to bear in mind when looking for the best garage door to protect your commercial property.
Professional installation and maintenance
Commercial garage door replacement can offer your business’s premises enhanced protection and security. And to further boost its benefits, hiring professionals is best. You can utilize their expertise to ensure your new garage doors are installed correctly and operate safely and efficiently.
Moreover, knowing a trusted garage door company can give you access to professional assistance should you have concerns in the future or need help maintaining your commercial garage door.
Commercial garage doors play a vital role in your facility’s security and the safety of your employees and customers. Therefore, inspecting its condition regularly is essential to ensure it functions as intended.
Some signs indicating you need to replace your garage door include age, frequent breakdowns or repairs, the difficulty of use, visible damage or wear and tear, and insulation issues. Don’t hesitate to contact a professional to help upgrade your commercial garage door and enhance your facility’s security